Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

1st week,May-Memory Games

              Since some of our group members were away on vacation, we(the rest of us) have decided on keeping our weekly program lighter.But the trick was to come up with something easy to plan and yet stimulating for our kids' brains, hence MEMORY GAMES.
              We got our inspiration from this website for all the games that we planned and, I must say, the kids totally surprised me in a goooooooooooooood way...in some instances their memory proved to be better than the moms', enough said.

So here is the outlay of the activities:

We divided the kids in two groups(magical word=team work) and kept scores

M1. One of the moms wrote her phone number on the board and the kids had 1 min to memorize it.Then they were told that they will be asked to recall the number at a random moment during the games.

M2.We showed the kids a tray with 15  random(preferably unrelated) items.They had 1 minute to look at it, and then 2 minutes to write down as many items as they could remember.One point for every correct item was scored for each of the teams.

 M3.The same tray(or you could choose to make a totally new tray) was shown to them again for 1 min.Then 5 items were removed from the tray.The kids were allowed another 30 sec glance and then 2 minutes to think and write down as many items as they could remember missing.One point for each correct item.

* M1 At this point we asked them to write down the phone number, giving one point for each correct digit in the correct position.

M4.We prepared a basket with different grocery items and one of the moms went for pretend shopping, asking the kids to pay attention to the details of her imaginary encounters.
To give you an idea of the story, here is an outline:

"I'm on my way to the supermarket for my groceries(walking).Oh, look, here is my friend Afreen.(waving)Hello Afreen, it's so nice to see you!I'm going shopping for ingredients for some dishes I need to cook today.I think I will cook pasta with mushrooms and a chocolate cake for dessert.Oh , my son love popcorn(putting popcorn in shopping bag) and here is the pasta I need for my pasta dish, and salt and mushrooms(putting all three items in shopping bag).A lovely book for my son(goes in shopping bag)and a slab of 100 gm chocolate and cocoa powder(both go in the bag).I'm going to the cash register to pay my bill(pretend pay) of 800 rupees."

We asked kids the following questions:
1.What items did the mom buy for her son?
2.What is the name of her friend?
3.How much chocolate did the mom buy?
4.What ingredients did the mom buy for her pasta dish?
5.How much did she pay for her groceries?

  M5.Matching memory cards, an all time classic, especially attractive if played on digital devices.


No comments:

Post a Comment